Hmm, how about going to college? – you think. And you won’t be alone in your decision; it’s in college that you’ll receive your secondary professional education. Young people most often go to college to learn a profession that is in demand.
Test your willingness to quietly study the diversity of colleges before visiting college websites and cutting off admissions office phones.
- I have decided for myself a college or university. One more thing worth checking out. Each has its own set of factors to choose from in favor of college, so reassess. Has your desire to study together with a friend slipped into the list of your reasons? All decisions must come from you.
- I choose a college, NOT because I am afraid to take tests. As strange as it may sound, very often high school graduates choose college.
- I have taken career guidance tests/events. To make your decision as conscious as possible, take a few career guidance tests to reinforce your confidence in your chosen field.
Today we will figure out how to choose your college from an abundance of all possible colleges. How to approach the choice?
How to Choose a College: An Algorithm
Some fears have been dispelled, and now it’s time to take a step-by-step look at the decision-making process.
1) Choose areas of training
Evaluate how much thought has been given to your decision, do you really dream of becoming a builder? Talk to your loved ones, listen to expert opinion, go deeper into what you want to learn. Remember that your direction should correspond with your career guidance.
2) Choose geolocation
It is important to understand whether you are considering moving to another city for the sake of study. It is not necessary to stop at one city.
3) Consider possible colleges
Choose the direction of planned training, adjust the place of training, the availability / absence of the hostel and other important characteristics for you.
What is important to pay attention to?
- The availability of educational accreditation. On the website of the selected institutions, you can find a section with documents and check the validity of your accreditation.
- Strong teaching staff. Read the college website first and look for faculty descriptions. You can even search separately to get a general idea of who will be teaching you.
- Your prospects after you graduate. For example, preferential admission to university. Some universities have colleges for which a certain number of places are available each year.
- Entrance Test. Some institutions will need to take additional admissions tests and prepare for them.
- This is a good reputation. To assess a college’s reputation, check out the compilations and rankings on the Internet. For example, read a comparatively recent selection with good explanations.
4) Attend additional introductory activities
When the list is more or less formed, you can visit Open Days or other events for applicants. Do not come passively to listen, it is important:
- Evaluate how the event itself goes, whether you like the atmosphere;
- Listen carefully to the college speakers, and sometimes they talk about the nuances of study and/or admissions;
- Imagine coming here every day (do you like it?);
- Ask questions to university representatives.
5) Plan to prepare for admission.
Your algorithm is ready, you have a plan of action. After all this process with a ready list of colleges you need to learn about exams and plan your training. The websites of the colleges (specifically, the admissions section) will help you with all the details.
The check-box has been passed, the algorithm is in place, and we hope that you have time to make an informed choice about the college. And remember that you can change any decision. If you want to change your trajectory during your studies, you may want to try to transfer to another college.
What profession to choose (the most popular professions)?
Forecasts of professions in demand, which make up Science, large HR-companies, predict that the need for job specialties and the prestige of secondary vocational education will only grow.
According to the Ministry of Labor, the most popular professions in the field of education are now included:
- Database Administrator
- Graphic designer
- Chemical analysis lab technician
- Master of Decorative Works
- Master carpenter’s work
- Mobile robotics
- Adjuster-repairman of the industrial equipment
- Unmanned Aircraft Operator
- Machine operator with software control
- Optical Mechanic
- Tile-facing tiler
- Confectionery Cook
- Developer of Web and multimedia applications
- Sanitary technician
- Collector of electronic systems (specialist in electronic devices and devices)
Which specialties are considered the most promising?
In 2018, the most popular was the profession of salesman, and the second place was taken by the profession of driver. They are followed by cooks, managers, cleaners and administrators. At the same time, last year the list of the most popular professions and specialties that schoolchildren choose when entering colleges and technical colleges, included technological (“Optical and optoelectronic devices and systems”), humanitarian (“World Art Culture”) and medical fields (“Pharmacy”, “Nursing” and “Clinical Medicine”). The average competition for each is more than five people per place.
Looking at the average passing score on the program of interest to you in the loan, you can roughly estimate your chances of admission. You will be able to do this more accurately when your diploma grades are known.
In the meantime, you will have time to learn more about each of the colleges to which you plan to apply. Visit their official websites and read the information. Colleges, like universities, may also have open days online, which is ideal for getting to know schools in advance.
The main thing now is not to worry. Colleges are interested in making sure everyone is able to apply and get in, so you can all do it! The main focus of your studies is to try to improve grades in all subjects. And, of course, understand what you want, what you like, and decide on the program and the college. And if it is still difficult for you for some reason, book an online consultation where an experienced professional can help you.